The Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks is seeking a chair for the Source Protection Committee for the Saugeen, Grey Sauble, Northern Bruce Peninsula Source Protection Region.
Under the Clean Water Act, 2006, 19 local watershed-based source protection committees across the province were established by Ontario Regulation 288/07. These committees are made up of representatives from watershed stakeholders such as municipal, agriculture, landowners, industry and environmental non-government organizations, and the public at large. The Act, under section 7(4) provides that the Minister shall appoint a chair to each of the committees.
Each committee, under the leadership and guidance of their chair, was responsible for preparing the terms of reference, the assessment reports and the source protection plans that are in place now to protect municipal drinking water systems across Ontario.
Moving forward, chairs continue to play an important role in guiding their committees in reporting on implementation of these plans and ensuring they remain relevant through future updates.
The chair of the source protection committee will be expected to:
• Chair regular meetings of the committee.
• Provide leadership to the committee in the review and updates to the local source protection plan(s).
• Work collaboratively with local source protection authorities to support municipalities and communities, implementing bodies and other stakeholders for the implementation of source protection plan policies.
• Provide on-going leadership to the delivery of the source protection program.
• Respond to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks for information related to the source protection plan.
• Raise awareness of drinking water source protection through speaking and other outreach events.
• Be the local champion for the source protection program.
To read the entire advertisement and list of qualifications please use this link: Source Protection Committee Chair Advertisement
There is an apply button at this link.